Join Industry Colleagues June 8-9 in Supporting the Event Industry Backyard Ultra Run 5K Race!
A host of exhibition leaders will be joining Tarsus Group CEO Douglas Emslie at the Event Industry Backyard Ultra, some of them lending their legs as runners and others sharing their knowledge via an impressive roster of livestreamed education sessions.
Kicking off at 11 a.m. EDT (4 p.m. UK time), the event will feature more than 30 runners joining Emslie from across the globe as he runs a 5K race every hour for a straight 24 hours in an effort to raise $24,000 for the Meetings Industry Fund, Indian Red Cross Society and EventWell.
“The charities we have chosen will help people not only impacted in the events industry, but also assist with efforts to combat the devastating COVID surge in India,” said Emslie, who is spearheading the effort. “I hope the Event Industry Backyard Ultra can continue to raise awareness and money to build upon the great work that has already been done. I would like to thank everyone for their support for what I hope will be a very memorable day.”
U.K.-based Roger Black, silver medalist in the 400-meter sprint at both the Olympic Games and World Championships, and UK-based singer, actress and TV personality Suzanne Shaw also will be joining in the challenge, he added.
To join the kick-off run with Emslie and other event industry runners, go here on June 8 at 11 a.m.
This valiant feat of physical strength and stamina will coincide with a host of industry panel sessions covering hot-button topics livestreamed from around the world. Throughout the event, there will be regular check-ins with Emslie and the other runners who will be joining him from the United States, Mexico, the Middle East and China.
A plethora of interesting and informative industry sessions will be broadcast each hour, with highlights including:
- Advocacy Panel: Update on Travel and Events Industries: This discussion at noon on June 8 will feature an esteemed panel led by U.S. Travel Association President and CEO Roger Dow will include Emerald President and CEO Herve Sedky; David Audrain, CEO of SISO; and Tommy Goodwin, Vice President of Government Affairs at Exhibitions and Conferences Alliance, providing an update on industry advocacy efforts and how event professionals can help.
- Live at World of Concrete In Las Vegas!: Also on June 8, this 11:30 a.m. session will provide a live update from Informa’s industry-leading trade show at the Las Vegas Convention Center along with a ribbon-cutting of the venue’s new West Hall. It will be hosted by Live & Unfiltered Media Journalist Danica Tormohlen, who will be speaking with Informa North America President Nancy Walsh about the restart of the trade show industry.
- Consumer Event Projections Post-Pandemic: Set for June 9 at 7 a.m., this session will feature UK event organizers discussing market sentiment, behavior shift and the impact of virtual, digital, live and hybrid on consumer events.
- Equality in Exhibitions: This special UFI Connects session on June 9 at 9 a.m. will be led by Mina El Fazazi from UFI and focus on the question and challenges around equality within the exhibitions industry.
- Douglas Takes the Run Home! Join Tarsus Group U.S. Executive Vice President of Business Development Rachel Wimberly at 10 a.m. in cheering Emslie on as he completes his last 5K run in a 24-hour stretch!
Meet the Charities
Founded to provide financial assistance during times of crisis like a disaster, medical illness or an emergency, the U.S.-based Meetings Industry Fund serves as a helping hand for meeting professionals when they need help the most. In its six-year existence, the MIF has assisted many industry professionals and continues to provide financial assistance thanks to the support from trade show industry organizations.
The Indian Red Cross is a voluntary humanitarian organization with a network of more than 1,100 branches throughout the country that provides relief in times of disasters/emergencies and promotes the health and care of vulnerable people and communities. It is a leading member of the largest independent humanitarian organization in the world, the International Red Cross & Red Crescent Movement.
India’s branch of the international humanitarian aid organization is providing ambulance transportation and oxygen in hard-hit cities such as Delhi and Mumbai, and helping to administer vaccine doses. Volunteers are handing out masks, food and hygiene supplies in both rural and urban areas.
Dedicated to educating, campaigning and supporting better mental health and wellbeing in events, U.K.-based EventWell was created to support and serve the event industry community within creative communications, experiential marketing, live and business events, exhibitions, travel and hospitality. It works to share the knowledge and tools needed to help professionals stay “event well” and provides vital relief and support to any event professional suffering from mental health challenges.
Sponsors of the Backyard Ultra Run are a who’s-who of leading event industry companies, including Ultra Run platform provider Swapcard, ASP, Charterhouse Capital Partners, Emerald, Freeman, Racoon Events, SISO and Tarsus. Supporting organizations including AEO, AMPROFEC, IAEE, tfconnect, UFI, U.S. Travel Association and IMEX Group, with media partners Dan Assor and TSNN.com.
To donate, go here and for regular session and runner updates, go here.
Add new comment